Monday, January 9, 2012

Sakat Chauth

Sakat Chauth

As usual this was going to be mine first Sakat Chauth after my Marrige. I have observed my mom and my sister who observe this Vrat. Due to which i was having a little Idea about this Vrat. But I was afrais as this is going to be mine my sakat Chauth so there should not be anything which I should do wrong during this Vrat. So I collected all the informations from my Mom,sister and in-Laws and now I am all ready to observe  this Vrat on 12th JAN,2012. so I decided to write a brief on this Vrat in my blog. So that from the coming Years I can do this Vrat in coming Years also.

Sankata-haaraa Chaturthi falls every month on the Chauth (fourth day) after Poornima (Full Moon day) means it is Krihna Paksh Chaturthee. Sankat means trouble, an Haaraa means to take it off. So by keeping fast on this day all kinds of problems are removed. This year Shakat chouth Vrat is on 12th JANUARY, 2012.

This is also called as Ganesh Chauth,Mahi chauth or Tilkuta Chauth.In this day Lord Ganesh and and Moon is worshied.This Vrat is done by a married women for a better future body strength, Good-fortune, and wealth for the children  
It is believe in UP and MP that every Married women should do atleast 2 Chauth . Mine fist was “Karva Chauth” and the second in “Sakat Chauth”.

तिल के दस लड्डू बनाकर, पांच लड्डू देवता को चढ़ावे और शेष पांच ब्रह्मण को दान दे देवें | गुड मे बने तिल (सफेद) के लड्डू चंद्र दर्शन करें और चंद्रमा को भी अर्घ्या प्रदान करें| क्योंकि इस दिन भगवान गणेश चंद्रमा को अपने मस्तक पर धारण करतें हैं| 
Method of Poojaa

  • In the morning, after your daily cores, take bath Do your morning prayers. Recite "Om Ganeshaaya Namah", "Om Vakratundaaya Hum". This is called Ganesh Ashtottar.
  • During the fasting period, Water, Milk,Fruits and Tea are permitted.
  • In the evening, like you do for any Vrat, make a Mandap and place a photo of Lord Ganesh.
  • Decorate the photo of Lord Ganesh with available flowers.
  • offer Durva ( Doorva - grass (creeper)) with 3 or 5 nodes to the Lord Ganesh and keep somw Doorva Grass aside to worship the Moon.
  • Light Diyaa (lamp) and Agarbattee (incense stick) and
  • Offer til ke Ladoo (seaseme seeds made with Jaggery and Seaseme seeds),Sweet Potato, Jaggery. This is known as  Naivdya.
  • Now in the end do the Arati. Sing the song Jaya Ganesh, Jaya Ganesh, Jaya Ganesh Devaa... and ask for his blessings.
  • After this the moon should ne worshiped with Til (Seaseme Seeds) and Arghya (Offeringby milk and water mixture).
  • Moon-god and Rohini are also worshipped. At night, after the moonrise, the fast is broken after offering the moon, the sacred water called "Arghya". It has a related legend which claims that it was the great sage Markandeya who advised a dethroned king to keep fast on this day to regain his lost glory. He did so and everything was well for him.
  • Regarding Moon rise - sometimes due to the clouds etc, the Moon may not be visible at the specified time. In that case after the Moon rise timings one may perform the Poojaa. 



9 comments:

Aditi Jain said...

Thank you so much Pratibha for giving a detailed information about this vrat. I am also keeping it for the first time after my marriage.

Pratibha said...

THANKS aditi. I am also keeping it for the first time after my marriage

Shaila said...

Mahi chauth is on 12th January, that is today not 12th Feburary.

Pratibha said...

Hi Shaila

Thanks a lot for correcting me. Sakat Chauth is today

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Pratibha. Even I am doing this fast first time after my marriage. The information is really very useful.

Thanks Dear.
Vineeta
(Delhi)

Pratibha said...

Thanks vineeta

Deepti said...

Happy Sakat Chauth to every body..
May Lord Ganesha shower all his blessing to all of us

Pratibha said...

thanks adeepti and same to you

Titeeksha :) said...

Thanks :) Its my first sakar chauth fast...
The information here was really helpful.